Communicating through Dance


Ady Elzam is an artist, dancer, teacher and choreographer, with a deep technical background in contemporary dance, improvisation and performance. For many years Ady has been exploring movement dynamics in partner work, his main interest is in the communication that creates clear understanding between partners, as if no words are needed. This applies also to the relationship of the observer and the observed. As a performer he’s interested in the artist’s ability to expose oneself, evoke emotion in the audience, and the connection between the two. Recently he performed at the ICCR Kolkata "It Couldn’t Have Happened Before” (Choreographed by Dafi Altabeb & Nini Moshe, the piece is danced and co-created by Ady Elzam and Noga Golan)

When did you first realize that dance was your passion? 

When I was 5 or 6 years old, I have seen Michael Jackson dancing on TV and I was imitating him.
My family saw me and was clapping and smiling, it made me feel the first test of dancing in front of an audience. Then when I was 6 ,I started to go to gymnastic but didn’t like it, so at the age of 10 I joined an Israeli folklore dance group and have been dancing ever since...

How did you decide to follow it and what keeps you energized in its pursuit?

From the beginning it was clear to me that I was doing what I love to do, But when I was maybe 14, I met the choreographer that made me want to grow up to be like him. Then it was clear to me that this is what I will do in my life. What kept me going all this years is the feeling that if I don’t dance I feel empty and have no reason to get out of bed. I have no choice but to dance, it's my life. 

How did you get interested in movement dynamics?

From the work, as the work became deeper to me I had to explore more into it

Do you think improvisation is an art, and choreography is a way of achieving this? 

Improvisation is an art, no doubt about that. And its one of my main practices. Choreography is the art of setting the piece or charting the frame for it. Dancers and Choreographers use improvisation to explore a theme or an idea. 

You can see more on my website about this: www.adyelzam.com

Who has been a significant source of inspiration/influence for you in improvisation?

In Improvisation my main inspirations are, Sharona Florsheim, Katie Duck, Yuval Goldshtein...

You have performed here in India. Do you notice a difference in audience compared to other places where you have performed?

I think the there are small differences in what is acceptable culturally and how people watch and respond to the performance. It was lovely to have a talk in the end of the performance and hear the audience speak.

Do you have any advice for aspiring performers?

Yes, practice practice practice! The only way to become a performer is to log as many hours possible of on-stage experience. If you can perform every week do it, if can every day do it. Go to dance classes, acting classes, singing classes, practice improvisation every day, make your performance practice part of your everyday life. You can perform on the street or in the studio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com